Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Lindsey: Letter 17

I'm so sorry I couldn't email yesterday! Don't we love holidays!.... ? ha. Well my goodness, in just a half hour I will be boarding the transfer bus headed to an area that will be quite different from here..... We'll just leave it at that for now;) I wrote home yesterday explaining a little more about what I've heard of the ward and city but I'll be able to experience it all first hand in just a few short hours. This should be interesting.... I won't lie, I've been incredibly spoiled here. I feel like the ward members have done 50% of the work. Katy is the most beautiful little city and there is no question I will be visiting frequently after my mission. I'm excited to take on whatever lessons the lord has waiting for me! Hopefully one of them is Spanish:) That may help a bit in the work..... My new address is on the envelope that you should be receiving in a few days. Well my goodness, what can I tell you. I have learned incredible things in my first three months out in the mission. I think the main one that penetrates my soul each time we go out to tract is how involved the lord is in the work, in his work. How he loves each and every one of his children more than you or I can comprehend. Just the other day we were looking for an old investigator that had been taught a few years back. We were trying to find the street and felt as though we were driving around in circles. We decided to pull over and study the map a bit more effectively. When we felt like we knew where we were and where we were headed my companion started pulling out. Just at the moment I turned my head and there to my left was a house with the numbers 917 on it. I gasped and she slammed on the breaks and pulled back in. Instead of Jose, the man we were originally looking for, Mike answered the door, a white, fully American 35 year old. He clearly didn't speak Spanish so we were a bit confused at first. We started talking to him and found out that he was some type of scriptural historian. He'd been trying to fill in missing pieces of the bible for some time and turned to many other sources of scripture that he felt had helped a bit in the process. He told us how he had read a little bit of the book of Mormon in 1995 but didn't give it too much thought since then. I asked him how his relationship with his heavenly father was. He held up his hand and formed a sign to indicate that they were tight. He said he'd been praying for a long time to figure out the truth and the original way of things. I immediately pulled an English book of Mormon out of my bag and told him that he would find all the answers he was looking for in that book. I told him that the lord was answering his prayer and that all the mysteries he was looking for would be unfolded if he would read and pray about the book of Mormon. He was excited and we left feeling incredible. We got in the car and drove around the corner, there, to the right of us was the street and house #917 that we had originally been looking for. It hit me right then that I had just been apart of yet another miracle. I was overwhelmed and couldn't contain the tears. It was a tender mercy to witness such an incredible act of love from our heavenly father in answering one of his sons prayers. Hopefully leading to deeper desires to join the true fold of god leading to eternal life and eternal families. We went to knock on the door of Jose and he had moved. The people that had moved in had zero interest in any religion.
I'm so thankful to be apart of this work. I'm excited to discover my new area and embrace every change, challenge, and lesson that the lord would have me learn. I'm excited to bring the gospel to those that are being prepared. To those that are so desperately in need of the atonement of Jesus Christ. To be freed from bondage and guilt. Please continue praying for me as I do you. Your prayers are heard and indeed answered. I love each of you with all of my heart and I hope that we can each remain steadfast and immovable in this incredible gospel of Jesus Christ. Our one sure way to eternal happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment